Gereaux Island Lighthouse
Gereaux is a typical eastern Georgian Bay island with its smooth, rounded stone surface rising not over 10 feet above the water, leaving just enough space in a few areas for a light carpet of wild grasses. Established in 1870 close to the north shore of the island, the Gereaux Island lighthouse marks the south side of the entrance to Byng Inlet. The structure is a replica of the Strawberry Island light - a square, wooden cover angling upward 40 feet to support a red metal walkway and lantern room. The attached two-story keeper's house and a one-story addition at the rear of that dwelling are both roofed with red shingles. All of the many rectangular windows of the house and tower are trimmed in red, and all are now sealed. Several yards in front of the light is a 100-foot-high red-and-white radio tower, anchored and stabilized with several long guy wires. Not far inland, a white two-story Canadian Coast Guard search-and-rescue station is bordered by a cluster of pines.
Accessibility: Not open to the public - accessible by boat only
Gereaux Island at the mouth of Byng Inlet